Thursday, September 10, 2009

Why do they call them Maternity clothes?


Here is the first "bump" picture. My co-workers thought I was looking extra cute today and said I need to chronicle this pregnancy adventure.

This past weekend Robb and I went maternity clothes shopping. He was a very good sport! I found several things that make me feel good as I transition out of my regular clothes and get ready for full on pregnancy. I highly recommend maternity jeans! Really they are much more comfortable than regular jeans. Everyone should try these.

After shopping I talked with my friend Amy and she asked why do they call them maternity clothes? Shouldn't they call them pregnancy clothes? So she is doing a little research to find an answer to this deep philosophical question of life. I will update you if she ever finds an answer.

2 comments:

  1. I have been able to find NOTHING about the term "maternity clothes" vs. "pregnancy clothes!" It seems that they've always been called "maternity clothes" and they will always be called that, and no one wonders why. So weird.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe because "maternity" is the politically correct and formal way of acknowledging pregnancy. They don't call the labor and delivery floor the "pregnancy ward" or "pregnancy floor". It's either the "labor and delivery wing" or the maternity wing".

    ReplyDelete