Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Playing the game

Seeing as we are in the window of possible baby what fun would it be without a little action. This morning at 4am I woke having painful cramps. I took a bath and tried to relax but my abdomen did not feel good. I also could not get back to sleep. As the time wore on my lower back started to hurt quite a bit. At 6 I woke Robb and told him I thought I might be in labor because the abdominal cramping was coming in waves and then going away. He sprung into action. I sent him to work to get things organized but once he had a sub he came directly home. The cramps/contractions starting coming about every 8 to 10 minutes and were painful but not so bad that I couldn't talk through them. Around 11:30 or so they started getting farther apart. Robb and I went for a walk and then I had a talk with the midwife on call at the hospital. Nancy said it is perfectly normal for a first time pregnancy to have bouts of contractions that can last up to 10 hours. These bouts can happen several times before actual birth day. These bouts are working at effacing and dilating me. So...she doesn't think today is the day but that it will be soon. After this news I did take a nap because this morning there was no sleeping during the contractions.

Really this works out rather well because it is Tuesday and LOST is on, Amy has a presentation in her evening class tonight and my dad is at Southern States meetings in Richmond right now. So...if this baby could hang in there until Friday (causing me minimal contractions before that time) it would be great!

2 comments:

  1. Hahaha... oh Joanna... you just hang in there. Glad little Shipp decided to cooperate, seeing as so many important people are busy tonight. Keeping you guys in thoughts! Can't wait to see baby Shibbbb. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Joanna, don't "relax" so much! :) Get up and walk around...that will help get things moving! But, don't over-do the walking. Try to sit in different positions so baby can settle in just right. And, of course, rest! :) I love you! Keep us updated and I'm not far behind you!! :D

    ReplyDelete